Eating bun is traditional for most Jamaicans during the Easter season.
2 cups red label wine
1 bottle dragon stout
2 eggs (beaten)
1/4 tsp. bun spice
2 tsp. vanilla
4 oz. chiffon margarine (melted)
1 tsp. browning
2 pounds counter flour
1 pound dark sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. mixed spice
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
4 whole cherries
10 oz. raisin
10 oz. mixed peel
4 oz. Guava jam
1. Combine wine, stout, beaten eggs, bun spice, vanilla, margarine, browning and dark sugar. Mix well and set aside.
2. Sift together dry ingredients.
3. Add the fruits to the dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients. Mix well.
5. Scrape mixture into greased 30 cm x 13 cm x 6 cm (12"x4"x3") loaf tin.
6. Bake at 180C (350F) for one hour. To test if done insert a skewer, when it comes out clean bun is done.
7. Remove from pan and allow to cool.
8. Melt the guava jam and brush over the surface of the baked bun as a glaze.