When You Store Food
1) Use a refrigerator thermometer to check that your refrigerator is cooling at 35
degrees F to 40 degrees F; your freezer should be at or below 0 degrees F.
2) Space items in your refrigerator and freezer so air can freely circulate.
3) Freeze fresh meat, poultry and fish immediately if you don't plan to use them
within a few days; overwrap packages with aluminium foil or heavy freezer wrap
to make alright.
4) Wrap raw meat, poultry and fish or place in separate plastic bags and set on
a plate on the lowest shelf of your refrigerator to keep juices from dripping on
other foods or refrigerator surfaces.
5) Follow the "use by," "keep refrigerated," and "safe handling," information on
package labels. If you cannot remember when a food was placed in the refrigerator,
throw it out.
6) Use refrigerated beef steaks, roasts, deli meats and poultry within 3 to 4 days.
Ground meats, ground poultry and fish should be used with 1 to 2 days.
7) Pack perishables in iced coolers when cleaning or defrosting your refrigerator or