This lemon sponge cake is moist. I enjoy eating it with pear (avocado) or curried chicken
If you are not counting calories, decorate the lemon sponge cake with lemon frosting or butter cream. More cake recipes
Jamaican pear (avocado)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. butter melted
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 360 F or 175 C. Butter and flour a 9-inch cake pan. Set aside.
- Place a stainless-steel bowl over a pot filled with hot simmering water. In the bowl, beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and continue beating until mixture cools slightly. Set aside.
- In a second bowl, sift flour and baking powder. Fold into beaten eggs mixture.
- With a spatula or whisk, gently fold in melted butter, grated lime peel and lime juice. Pour batter into a cake pan.
- Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes. Remove from oven. Detach from cake pan by running a knife around the sides. Let cool for 5 minutes. Turn out cake onto a wire rack or on a platter or even a cookie sheet, sprinkle with sugar if you desired. Let cake cool completely before slicing.