Peanut porridge is a traditional Jamaican breakfast dish, especially among Rastafarian. Peanut porridge is the often sold on the street in the morning. All of Jamaican porridges should contain coconut milk
1 cup raw peanut
2 cups water
Sweetened condensed milk to sweeten
1/8 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
1/8 tsp. vanilla flavouring
4 tbsp. whole milk powder (optional)
Salt to taste
3 cinnamon leaves
1. Put a thick bottomed pot on high heat with cinnamon leaves and water, cover and boil about 2-3 minutes. This will infuse the cinnamon flavour in the water, also used a thick bottomed pot because peanut porridge easily burn.
2. Although this is only one cup of peanut, but I put only a small amount in the blender at a time so that it blended as smooth as possible. Pour 1/2 cup of water into a blender along with some of the peanut, blend peanut until smooth. Pour the mixture into a container. Pour 1/2 cup of water into a blender along with the remaining peanut and blend until smooth. Pour the mixture into the same container and stir.
3. Pour the mixture into the pot and stir. Lower the heat. Boil peanut porridge for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so.
4. After 15 minutes, stir and add the coconut milk, continue boiling the porridge for 6 more minutes or so while stirring. The heat should be on the lowest.
5. This is optional but whole milk powder added to the porridge will make the porridge creamy and rich in taste. This is optional but whole milk powder added to the porridge will make the porridge creamy and rich in taste. In a small bowl, mix the whole milk powder with a tiny amount of water to a thick consistency, then pour it into the porridge, stir.
6. Add salt to the porridge. What you will use to sweeten the porridge is up to you. I use sweetened condensed milk to sweeten the porridge accordingly to my taste. Add the vanilla and nutmeg. Stir and remove from heat. Serve hot. The total cooking time takes about 25 minutes. This recipe makes one bowl of porridge if you need more than a bowl, use two cups of peanut.