I do not like when my ham is glazed. Therefore, I never glazed my ham, neither do I put pineapple slices and cherries The ham weights, eight pounds and is not salty. This is how I bake my picnic ham. (Picnic ham means the shoulder section of a pig)Thawing time will depend on the size of the ham. (2) The size of the roasting pan will dictate the amount of water used. (3) The size of the ham will determine the total baking time.
Note: Thawing time will depend on the size of the ham. (2) The size of the roasting pan will dictate the amount of water used. (3) The size of the ham will determine the total baking time. My ham weights 8lbs, therefore it takes 2hrs and 40 minutes to bake.
Happy holidays everyone!
8 lbs. ham
1. Remove ham from the freezer and thaw ham in the bottom of the refrigerator for 24-36 hours.
2. Remove casing from ham and wrap ham loosely with foil paper. This will retain moisture in the ham.
3. Put ham into a preheated oven on the stove’s wire rack or Fit a rack over the roasting pan, place ham on the rack, skin side up (if skin is on ham) then pour water into the roasting pan. The water should NOT touch the ham
4. Bake ham in a pre-heated oven at 180°C (350°F), allowing 20 minutes per pound.
5. Within the last half-hour of baking time, remove ham from oven and Unwrap. Cut away the skin with as much fat as possible
6. Across the surface of the ham, make some small cuts, then stud the surface of the ham with cloves.
7. Change the foil paper and return ham to oven to complete the cooking process.
8. Remove have from oven. Ham is fully baked when the skin peels off easily
9. Keep ham in the refrigerator wrap in foil paper and use as needed.