This lemon sponge cake is soft and moist
Preheat oven to 350 F or 175 C. Butter and flour a 9-inch spring form cake pan. Set aside
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
3 tbsp. butter, melted
1 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 drops yellow food colouring
- Place a stainless-steel bowl over a saucepan filled with simmering hot water. In the bowl, beat the eggs and sugar for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens.
- Turn off heat and set mixture aside
- In a second bowl, sift flour and baking powder. Fold into beaten egg mixture
- With a spatula or whisk, gentle fold in melted butter, lemon peel, lemon juice and yellow food colouring.
- Pour batter into cake pan. Bake in oven for 25-35 minutes
- Remove from oven and let cake cool
- Sprinkle with sugar (optional)