I purchased freshly plucked chicken and liver from local chicken farmers and not from the supermarket. Brown stewed chicken liver is often served with boiled green bananas and sliced bread for breakfast
2 lbs. chicken liver
1/2 tsp. of the following (Maggie)
Season-up chicken flavour(Maggie)
Ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. of the following
Fresh Herbs- roughly chopped
1 stalk escallion
1 clove garlic
1 small Scotch bonnet or any other hot pepper
Piece of thyme
Half of 1 onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp. extra dark soy sauce
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1/2 cup water
- Trim fats and anything else from liver then wash with vinegar and water. Drain.
- In a bowl, season liver with all the spices, fresh and dried herbs as well as salt, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
- Put a medium-size pot on low heat. Add the oil to the hot pot. Add the seasoned liver as well as the fresh herbs to the hot oil.
- Cover the pot. Make sure the heat is on low.
- Allow the liver to cook in its own juice and to develop the brown colour. Stir occasionally.
- Cook the liver in its own juice until the juice reduced and the liver starts to fry.
- At this point, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Taste gravy and add more salt if needed. Add a tbsp. of ketchup, optional. Simmer chicken liver until gravy come together on low heat.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.