Recipe for homemade eggnog. Even though making eggnog at this time of year is not a Jamaican tradition, my grandmother always did. She has spent a considerable amount of time in the States, where she has partially adapted. If the homemade eggnog isn't frozen, my stomach won't let me consume it.
Here's a delicious homemade eggnog recipe that's sure to be a hit at your next holiday gathering!
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup brandy or rum, optional
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Gradually add sugar and continue to beat until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- In a separate bowl, combine milk, nutmeg, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. Slowly add the egg mixture and stir until combined.
- In a chilled bowl, whisk the heavy cream until soft peaks form. Gently fold the cream into the egg mixture.
- Chill the eggnog in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
- When ready to serve, stir in the brandy or rum, if desired. Serve chilled. Enjoy!